Paula has given us a number of definitions of “flare” and asked us to give her our interpretation.
- A brief wavering blaze of light.
- A device that produces a bright light for signalling, illumination, or identification.
- An outbreak, as of emotion or activity.
- An expanding or opening outward.
- .An unwanted reflection within an optical system or the resultant fogging of the image
- A solar flare.
- Football A short pass to a back running toward the sideline.
- Baseball A fly ball hit a short distance into the outfield.
- Medicine – An area of redness on the skin surrounding the primary site of infection or irritation.
1. A brief blaze of light…
The sun rises over the ocean, briefly passing behind a cloud and casting the Pandanus trees into a tangle of tropical looking silhouettes.
5. An unwanted reflection within an optical system or the resultant fogging of the image.
The early morning sun is streaming in from the right causing slight fogging of the lens. I only have one place to stand and catch this view of the Kawarau Bridge suspended across the mighty chasm of the Kawarau Gorge. The miniscule figures waiting to bungy jump are dwarfed, but the screams as they jump echo and bounce endlessly as they swoop down.
4. An expanding or opening outward.
Can you hear the beat, can you feel the rhythm? The skirt flares out and the feet bounce to the irresistible sound of rock n roll.
Finally I have included this one. I can’t decide which of Paula’s definitions it fits into, but it is a flaring of fire as the gases are burnt off at the Dampier Natural Gas Project.
Thanks Paula for giving us the various definitions to spark our imagination. Now pop over to see other bloggers interpretations of the theme